General Anderson had the Institute built for the people of Elgin in 1832. His statue adorns the front elevation above the main entrance with an elderly and child figure at his side.
The statues are constructed from Coade stone and had been showing signs of severe cracking for many years, as seen in the pictures. The problem was a rusting internal skeleton which was swelling and cracking multiple areas. The cracked sections were removed for restoration in our yard, whilst the internal rusting metals were removed.
Some sections including his head and hands had to be pinned together with stainless steel and resins. After reconstruction the statues were cleaned down and given 3 coats of Keim Roylan.